Ms. Marcelo is an experienced litigator and has advised clients in the areas of civil and criminal law, water and energy, banking, corporate rehabilitation, mass media and family law. She is also a trained arbitrator of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. and has handled commercial and construction arbitration disputes.
Her portfolio of cases includes representation for:
- the country’s largest power distribution utility against a Supreme Court petition challenging the validity of a generation rate hike
- one of the country’s top real estate developers against a Supreme Court petition for mandamus involving cultural heritage issues
- the top officials of the Monetary Board against an action challenging the merger of two leading domestic banks
- the head of the country’s largest telecommunications company against a complaint for violation of stockholder’s rights
- the officials of the Anti-Money Laundering Council in a case involving its issuance of a freeze order against the assets of a top elective official
- a top multinational bank making a claim both in its local debtor’s rehabilitation proceedings and its foreign guarantor’s bankruptcy proceedings in the US
- a leading water company in a commercial dispute against a government owned and controlled corporation
Ms. Marcelo is a faculty member of the University of the Philippines where she teaches Sales, Legal Theory and Legal Bibliography.
She is also a published author whose works appeared in local and international journals, most notably the Chapter on the Philippines (co-author), in Dennis Campbell and Christian Campbell, Eds., International Civil Procedure (Juris Publishing Inc. and Center for International Legal Studies, 2019 ed.); and “Rights in the Balance: A Critique of Recent Jurisprudence on Strikes and Termination Disputes”, in Journal of the Philippine Association of Voluntary Arbitration (Vol. IX, No. 2, 2016).
Ms. Marcelo obtained her Juris Doctor Degree and Bachelor’s Degree in Speech Communication (cum laude) from the University of the Philippines.