Prior to his service in government, Mr. Angara co-founded ACCRALAW.
He is regarded as one of the most accomplished legislators in contemporary history. He began his political career when he was elected as one of the youngest delegates to the 1971 Constitutional Convention. He was elected as Senator from 1987 to 1992, 1992 to 1998, 2001 to 2007, and 2007 to 2013. He was also elected as Senate President from 1993 to 1995.
He served as Secretary of Agriculture from 1999 to 2001, and as Executive Secretary in 2001.
Among the laws he authored are:
- The Free High School Act;
- The Higher Education Act;
- The Technical Education and Skills Development Act;
- The Senior Citizens Act (The Angara Law);
- The National Health Insurance Act; and,
- The Magna Carta for Public Health Workers
He passed away in 2018.