Ms. Wong-Cantano specializes in litigation, alternative dispute resolution, arbitration, appellate practice, criminal law, commercial law, civil law, and administrative law.
She has handled significant matters where she:
- Defended corporate officers and employees in criminal cases filed against them (for reckless imprudence resulting to multiple homicide, for alleged violation of a special law in connection with a loan transaction);
- Defended government officials and employees in criminal and administrative cases filed against them involving contracts with private entities (for violation of RA 3019, malfeasance and misfeasance in office);
- Prosecuted criminal cases against erring employees filed by corporate clients (for swindling/estafa, qualified theft);
- Represented and advised clients in complex civil and administrative cases involving land, contracts, etc. (recognition and enforcement of foreign judgment, claims against an insurance company, claims of borrowers against SPVs, claims for refund of payment filed by condominium unit buyers against landowners, cancellation and/or quieting of title);
- Represented and advised clients in arbitration cases involving, among others, construction contracts;
- Assisted/attended as proxy of clients in highly contested directors’/stockholders’ meetings, and handled intra-corporate disputes (commercial/criminal cases) involving corporate clients, its directors, and stockholders;
- Handled negotiations leading to amicable settlement of cases (for medical malpractice, cases involving land, contracts, certificates of title, claim for damages against a fast-food chain).
She authored an article entitled “Revised Guidelines for Continuous Trial of Criminal Cases: Recent Measure to Address Judicial Delays” for the Jurisdiction Updates – Philippines of the Asian-Mena Counsel Volume 15 Issue 5, 2018, and contributed to the BusinessWorld’s column, Amicus Curiae.
She is a law professor in Ateneo de Davao University College of Law and has been teaching since 2016. She has taught Legal Research, Statutory Construction, Persons and Family Relations, and Obligations and Contracts. At present, she teaches Conflict of Laws and Transportation Laws.
Ms. Wong-Cantano graduated among the top five students of her graduating class. Ms. Wong-Cantano was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2009.
She is a member of the Davao City Chapter of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.