Mr. Lazatin is heavily involved in civil and commercial litigation, construction, and arbitration law. He is also active in assisting several corporations in forming and perfecting joint ventures or other forms of business combinations.
In 2018, Legal 500 Asia Pacific cited Mr. Lazatin as a “Leading Lawyer” in the Practice Area of Dispute Resolution. Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2018 has also identified Mr. Lazatin as one of the most highly acclaimed legal experts in the fields of Construction & Real Estate and Dispute Resolution & Litigation. Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers & Partners also considered Mr. Lazatin as a Band 1 Lawyer in Dispute Resolution.
Mr. Lazatin was recognized by Asialaw Profiles as a Senior Statesman for the practice area of dispute resolution in 2019.
He was also regarded as a “Leading Lawyer,” and was recommended for the practice areas of Dispute Resolution and Real Estate and Construction in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 for 2020.
Mr. Lazatin has authored several articles, such as:
- The Philippine chapter of the “Asia Arbitration Handbook”, Oxford University Press (2011);
- “Kluwer Law International” First Edition (1997), Second Edition (2002) and Third Edition (2006);
- “Arbitration in the Philippines”, Juris Publishing, Inc. (2002);
- “Dispute Resolution in Asia” Michael Pryles (ed) – co-author (Philippine Section);
- “Handbook on Commercial Arbitration”, Construction Industry Arbitration Commission; and,
- “Private Construction Disputes and Arbitration”, Construction Industry Arbitration Commission.
He has also spoken in various international and local conferences, including:
- “Symposium on Construction Arbitration – Arbitral Awards and their Enforcement,” sponsored by the Construction Industry Arbitration Commission;
- “Seminar on the Enforcement of National Law on Competition and Restrictive Business Practices – Enforcement of Competition Laws in the Philippines,” sponsored by the German Foundation for International Development and the Secretariat of the United National Conference on Trade and Development; and,
- “The 6th Annual Meeting and Conference of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Manila, Philippines,” sponsored by the Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Committee: International Commercial Litigation in the Philippines.
Mr. Lazatin served as President of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. (PDRCI) from 2009 to 2013 and the Philippine Institute of Construction Arbitrators and Mediators from 2005 to 2006. He is an accredited arbitrator of the CIAC, PDRCI, Hong Kong International Arbitration Center, Shanghai International Arbitration Centre, and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre. He has assisted numerous domestic and foreign entities in arbitration, either as an advocate or arbitrator.
Mr. Lazatin was the President of the Philippine Bar Association from 2006 to 2007 and holds key positions in several professional organizations such as the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, the ASEAN Law Association, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines, and the Philippine Council of the International Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Lazatin is also a regular member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration from 2014 up to the present.
He was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 1972 and is a member of the Pampanga Chapter of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.