Mr. Velasco specializes in corporate law, construction law, securities and capital markets, government contracts, and mining.
Among his significant transactions are:
- represented Smartmatic in getting the awards from the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) for the automation of the May 2010, May 2013, May 2016 and May 2019 national and local elections;
- represented Global Ferronickel Holdings, Inc. in connection with its follow-on offering of shares and backdoor listing with the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE);
- represented the Meralco- Marubeni Consortium on the New Clark City project of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority;
- represented the consortium of banks and underwriters on the retail bonds issued by SM Prime Holdings, Inc. and SM Investments Corporation;
- assisted First Metro Investment Corporation on the establishment and operation of the first Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF) in the Philippines, the First Metro Philippine Equity Exchange Traded Fund, Inc.; and
- assisted clients on their joint venture projects, such as the Araneta Center-Megaworld Corporation joint venture, and the Shang Properties and Robinsons Land Corporation joint venture.
Mr. Velasco co-authored a number of international legal publications, including the Philippine chapters of:
- “International Liability of Corporate Directors” published by the Center for International Legal Studies;
- “Chartis D&O Guide” published by Chartis Asia and Allens Arthur Robinson;
- “Legal Guide for Outbound Investment” published by Deloitte and King & Wood; and,\
- “Successful Strategies for Doing Business in Asia” published by Meritas.
Mr. Velasco also gave lectures during international conferences, such as the Meritas conference in Zhejiang, China in 2017 and the Inhouse Community conference in Singapore in 2018.
Mr. Velasco was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2004 and is a member of the Pampanga Chapter of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.