Mr. Filio has extensive experience handling employment termination disputes and money claims, labor inspections and audits, outsourcing concerns, the labor aspect of mergers and acquisitions, right-sizing and down-sizing programs, collective bargaining negotiations, union organization issues, and strikes. Mr. Filio also handles labor-related criminal litigation work, which includes criminal prosecutions for unfair labor practice acts, violations of the Revised Penal Code, the Social Security System law, and other special laws.
He has successfully defended management actions of a number of multinational and local companies before the National Labor Relations Commission, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court, and other government agencies. Some of Mr. Filio’s most recent notable cases involve the following:
- assisted a hotel in securing a favorable notice of inspection results from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)
- secured DOLE dismissal orders in favor of a supermarket chain, automotive/motorcylce company, and two autoparts companies in connection with adverse contracting-out findings against them
- assisted in the implementation of a re-organization program/plant closure of a consumer goods company and a tobacco firm
- assisted in the favorable conclusion/settlement of a multimillion-peso labor claim against an automotive/motorcycle company before the National Conciliation and Mediation Board and a strike staged by employees of a tobacco firm
Prior to joining the Firm in 2003, Mr. Filio was involved in general litigation work. In 2007, he left the Firm to assist one of the country’s biggest Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) company. He re-joined the Firm the following year and continued to regularly support clients in the BPO industry.
Mr. Filio has also co-authored several articles on outsourcing, including the Philippine chapters of:
- “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Outsourcing 2016” (2016), published by Global Legal Group Ltd.
- “Getting the Deal Through: Outsourcing” (2016), published by Law Business Research Ltd.
- “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Outsourcing 2017” (2017), published by Global Legal Group Ltd.
- “Chambers Global Practice Guide: Outsourcing” (2019), published by Chambers & Partners.
Mr. Filio was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2002 and is a member of the Camarines Sur Chapter of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.